The Marshalltown Area Chamber of Commerce is currently hiring a Director of Tourism. This full-time exempt position will have a variable schedule, including some nights and weekends as needed. The Director of Tourism is responsible for oversight of the tourism activities of the Marshalltown Area Chamber of Commerce. The Director will work with a committee to set annual goals under the direction of the Chamber Board of Directors and the Chamber’s strategic plan.
- Oversee the financial management of the Chamber’s tourism programming, including preparation of the annual tourism budget and annual review reports for approval by the Chamber Board of Directors.
- Attend committee meetings as assigned.
- Assist with office administration on an as-needed basis, to include: answering phones, assisting customers, and booking rooms for the Fisher Community Center.
- Marketing & Public Relations
- Serve as the main spokesperson for Tourism-related news.
- Promote Tourism activities, including local events and attractions, conventions, sporting events, and the like through various marketing and public relations channels.
- Maintain and grow effective communication with Tourism partners, convention and event planners, hospitality businesses, and other stakeholders.
- Provide content for monthly newsletter, email blasts, and Facebook posts.
- Drive visits to the Chamber’s website and update content as appropriate.
- Maintain and promote the community Calendar of Events.
- Coordinate a regional marketing campaign which enhances Marshalltown’s public image.
- Community Relations
- Represent the Chamber and Marshalltown community in a positive manner to the public, hospitality stakeholders, and other appropriate audiences.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to attract conventions, sporting events, and other opportunities that bring visitors to Marshalltown. Work with local groups and facilities to accommodate convention and meeting needs.
- Assist groups with planning and implementing community events.
- Create and distribute materials that provide information to visitors in the community.
- Promote and encourage volunteer involvement in the Chamber.
- Engage in appropriate community boards and organizations.
- Participate in local and state tourism organizations as appropriate.
- Attend City Council and Board of Supervisor meetings as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, accounting, or related field preferred.
- Two (2) years’ experience in related field.
- Excellent time management skills, including the demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects
- Proven experience with social media and other innovative marketing techniques
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in a wide variety of public forums
- Exceptional communication skills, including written and public speaking skills.
- Residency within Marshall County (or within 15 miles of Marshalltown).
- Performs work primarily in an office setting. Potentially prolonged periods of sitting and repetitive motion.
- Event days may include continuous walking, stooping, lifting and repetitive motion
- Ability to work nights and weekends as required.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, as other programs and activities may be added through action by the President/CEO as needed.
Qualified applications can submit cover letter, resume, and three references to Chamber President & CEO Lynn Olberding (firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 1000, Marshalltown, IA 50158). Open until position is filled.
|Job Category||Administration, Tourism|